County Board Meetings: Open Meeting Law, Data Practices and Managing Conflict
By August, new commissioners have eight months of service under their belts and have encountered enough issues and circumstances that may have left them with even more questions than they had when they first took office.
Co-sponsored by the Association of Minnesota Counties and Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust, this seminar is specifically developed for elected officials to give them knowledge and skills they need to serve the public while complying with laws and managing various risks. The seminar uses scenarios and work groups, giving participants the opportunity to practice applying techniques to the real world of county government.
- Program Agenda
- Successfully Navigating Open Meetings (Presentation Slides)
- Closing Meetings of the Governing Board
- Avoid Bad Headlines: Tips to Comply with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (Presentation Slides)
- Personnel Data
- Personal Phone Case Study
- Bridging Divides: Managing Conflict at Board Meetings (Presentation Slides)
- Dealing with Deeply Held Concerns
- Reframing Handout
- Synthesizing Handout
- Guide to Dealing with Conflict
- Models for Public Participation