Health & Human Services
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by DATE in Descending Order within category
Documents sorted by DATE in Descending Order within category
County Human Services9 documents
Human Services Finance6 documents
- Introduction to Human Services Finance This video is the first of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video explains five basic concepts of county human services finance: capped grants, uncapped federal and/or state revenue, cost share services, match costs services, and maintenance of effort services. This video also reviews the County Human Service Cost Report compiled annually by the Department of Human Services.
- Cash Assistance & Health Care This video is the second of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video summarizes Minnesota's cash assistance and health care programs, defines county responsibilities for those programs, and explains their expenditures and revenues.
- Social Services Fiscal Elements This video is the third of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video covers seven fiscal topics related to children's and adults' services including: contracts, BRASS, time reporting, social service time studies, targeted case management, waiver case management, and tracking social worker fiscal performance.
- Children's Social Services This video is the fourth of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video reviews fiscal elements of children's human services programs including mental health care, out of home placement, and the vulnerable children and adults act.
- Adult Social Services This video is the fifth of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video reviews fiscal elements of adult human services programs including chemical dependency, mental health care, and developmental disabilities.
- Budging and Conclusion This video is the final of a six-part series produced in 2014 by the Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators. The video covers basic budget concepts with examples from a Minnesota county's human services budget. The video also includes lessons learned from times of budget deficits and growth and the role of the human services director.
County Human Services Overview1 document
- Human Services 101 This webinar provides an overview of the role of counties in Minnesota's Human Services System.
County Human Services MnChoices2 documents
- A MnChoices Overview for County Officials This webinar gives an overview of MnCHOICES- a web-based application that is comprehensive and integrates assessment and support planning for Minnesotans who need long-term services and supports. MnCHOICES embraces a person-centered approach to ensure services meet each person's strengths, goals, preferences and assessed needs. All counties and participating tribes in Minnesota use MnCHOICES for new assessments and reassessments.
- MnChoices Information form the Department of Human Services Visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) web site for complete MnChoices Information.
Public Health2 documents
METS and Medical Assistance6 documents
- Minnesota Eligibility Technology System This fact sheet briefly outlines a county's role in the state health insurance program, Medicaid Assistance. The fact sheet also describes the Minnesota Eligibility Technology System (METS) software system, which is used by counties to determine an individual's eligibility for Medical Assistance.
- Medical Assistance: An Overview Medical Assistance is Minnesota's Medicaid program, which is state supervised, but county administered. This policy brief concisely outlines the eligibility, covered services, funding, application procedure, and provider reimbursement of Medical Assistance.
- Medical Assistance: Full Report This report thoroughly explains the Medical Assistance program adding greater detail to issues briefly addressed in "Medical Assistance: An Overview" including government administration, cost shares, eligibility requirements, covered services, funding distribution, and enrollee demographics.
- Minnesota Health Care Programs in 2016 This two-page fact sheet shares current statistics on Minnesota's state health insurance programs. The fact sheet includes data on enrollees, funding, eligibility requirements, and covered services.
- VIDEO: Improvements Needed to the Minnesota Eligibility Technology System (METS) Anoka County produced this video which illustrates the improvements needed to the METS system, from the county perspective.
- Anoka County - AMC METS Workgroup Position Statement This document gives an overview of the improvements needed to the METS system, from the county perspective.
Opioid Crisis and Substance Abuse Disorders1 document
- Click here for documents that summarize Minnesota programs and projects that address substance use disorders. The programs and projects were featured at AMC's Opioid Summit in 2018. Each document summarizes the program and provides the contact information of program leaders. Although the focus of the conference was the opioid crisis, many of the programs and projects can be utilized to address other substance abuse in communities. Each document includes a summary of the program and contact information for the county or organization that implemented it.
Child Care Licensing5 documents
- Counties and the Child Care Shortage This AMC fact sheet briefly explains the child care shortage in Minnesota and the responsibilities of counties in licensing child care facilities. The fact sheet provides two examples of how Minnesota counties experienced a boost in child care provider numbers by streamlining their licensing application process and assisting individuals during the application.
- Responding to the Child Care Shortage: Case Studies of Innovation in Greater Minnesota This report highlights seven successful strategies local governments have used to address the child care shortage in their communities. The case studies focus on Greater Minnesota where community members used different models, partnerships, and assets to improve child care access.
- Child Care's Quiet Crisis: An Update In 2016, the Center for Rural Policy and Development produced a well-researched and thorough report on child care access called "A quiet crisis: Minnesota's child care shortage." This fact sheet updates the report's statistics on Minnesota's child care shortage and licensing capacity by region. It also provides a few examples of successful partnerships and models to improve access.
- County Delegated Licensure of Family Child Care Programs This fact sheet outlines county responsibilities for child care licensing and the role of the Department of Human Services' Licensing Division in supporting counties in their performance of licensing functions.
- Region V+ Family Child Care Licensing Collaboration This video summarizes a new and innovative child care licensing collaboration between Cass, Crow Wing, Morrison, Todd and Wadena Counties and Sourcewell. The Region V+ counties partnered with Sourcewell to create regional child care licensing positions who help potential child care providers navigate the application process and offer current providers professional development and training opportunities. The collaboration was selected as a Local Government Innovation Award winner in 2018.
Cannabis Legalization5 documents
- The Impact of Cannabis Legalization on Counties The AMC Executive Committee appointed a workgroup to study adult-use cannabis legalization policies and their impact on local governments in other states. After months-long study of the issue and consultation with experts, the workgroup compiled this educational booklet to share its concerns and findings. This document outlines how cannabis legalization, if enacted, could impact Minnesota counties and includes recommendations for policymakers should they consider the issue in the 2020 legislative session.
- Local Impacts of Commercial Cannabis This report by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) provides a summary of local government activities that may be impacted by commercial cannabis legalization including economic development, public safety, public health, and environmental services. The report also identifies cities and counties around the United States as case studies for how legalization impacted local governments.
- Cultivation and Cannabis in California This short video from the California State Association of Counties interviews county commissioners and staff about their experience with the legalization of adult use cannabis and their recommendations for other local governments.
- Banking/Taxation of Cannabis in California This short video from the California State Association of Counties reviews the taxation and banking challenges counties encounter in working with adult use cannabis businesses. The video explains California's law and interviews county commissioners and staff.
- Cannabis Ordinance Handbook SEP23.pdf
Refugee Resettlement9 documents
- Minnesota County Refugee Data This article by MinnPost compiles refugee arrival data for Minnesota counties over the past decade.
- Letter from Minnesota State Refugee Coordinator This letter includes helpful information in a question and answer format for Minnesota counties about the refugee resettlement executive order.
- Refugee Resettlement in Minnesota This policy brief from the Minnesota Department of Human Services outlines the refugee resettlement process, the executive order's changes to the process, and the history of refugees in Minnesota. The brief links to additional resources concerning the executive order and the economic impact of
- Executive Order on Refugee Resettlement This Executive Order establishes new refugee resettlement rules. The order requires state and local governments to provide written consent to the federal government before refugees can be resettled in their jurisdictions.
- Refugee Arrivals to Minnesota This one-page chart documents how many refugees have settled in specific Minnesota counties between 2015 and 2019.
- NACo Analysis: Executive Order on Enhancing State and Local Involvement in Refugee Resettlement NACo's policy brief explains the background of the executive order, the current process for refugee resettlement, how the executive order changes that process, and how counties may be impacted by the change.
- Implementation Guidance of Executive Order 13888 This brief includes excerpts of Executive Order 13888's implementation guidance for states and counties.
- From Struggle to Resilience: The Economic Impact of Refugees in America" This report analyzes the impact of refugees on the United States economy and their local communities. The report highlights the refugee experience in Minnesota.
- National Refugee Data The maps and charts found in this document show the number of refugees that have been settled in each state between 2001 & 2019 and 2014 & 2019.