Border to Border Broadband: Bridging the Gaps – Expanding the Impact
October 25 -26, 2017
Madden's on Gull Lake, Brainerd
Blandin Foundation, with support from the Minnesota Office of Broadband Development and conference cosponsors, invite you to attend Border to Border Broadband: Bridging the Gaps – Expanding the Impact, October 25-26 at Madden’s on Gull Lake in Brainerd, Minnesota. Drawing inspiration from around the state, this year’s conference will showcase a variety of approaches that rural communities have developed to expand broadband’s impact, leverage investments, and bridge the digital divide.
This year’s conference features:
- Learning Stations that demonstrate stories of partnerships and perseverance that define the Border-to-Border Broadband Development Grant Program participants.
- “Is Rural Minnesota Poised for the Digital Age?” keynote presentation by Dr. Roberto Gallardo of the Perdue Center for Regional Development.
- New research that showcases the impact that world-class, ubiquitous high-speed broadband has had on five rural Minnesota communities.
- Interactive session on partnership models and cooperation.
- A humorous and informative evening with rural broadband advocate and author of the Minnesota Brown blog, Aaron Brown.
- Ample time to network with conference participants visit with Exhibitors.
Platinum sponsor: Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board (IRRRB)
Gold sponsors: Calix, Consolidated Telecommunications Company (CTC), Finley Engineering, Great River Energy, Initiative Foundation, Northland Foundation, Northwest Minnesota Foundation, Resilient Region, Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation, Southwest Initiative Foundation, and West Central Initiative
The MNGFOA is excited to announce the following Fall 2017 Accounting classes are now accepting registrations:
Beginning Governmental Accounting:
This class is designed to provide the basics of accounting to individuals who have little or no governmental accounting training. The class will cover basic accounting theories at the fund level, accounts and coding (chart of accounts), double entry accounting, accounting systems and records, fund accounting, basis of accounting, and budget basics. Tom Kelly, White Bear Lake Township Finance Officer, and Chris Knopik, Clifton Larson Allen, LLP, will be the presenters. This class will be offered twice in 2017. The cost per session is $30 and class is held from 9:00a.m.-3:00p.m. There is a minimum of 10 registrants for these sessions otherwise they will be cancelled.
- The first session will be Tuesday, September 26th at the Ramsey County Public Works Building, 1425 Paul Kirkwold Dr, Arden Hills, MN 55112
- The second session will be Tuesday, October 3rd at the St. Joseph Government Center, 75 Callaway St E, St. Joseph, MN 56374
Intermediate Governmental Accounting:
This class is designed to cover a quick overview/review of basic accounting theories and fund accounting. This class assumes individuals have an understanding of beginning governmental accounting topics or limited experience. The class will go into more depth of each classification of transactions in the different types of funds, capital assets, and a basic overview of financial statements and reporting. Clara Hilger, City of South Saint Paul Assistant Finance Director and Caroline Stutsman and Janel Bitzan of BerganKDV will present the topic. This class will be offered twice in 2017. The cost per session is $30 and class is held from 9:00a.m.-3:00p.m.
- The first session will be Tuesday, October 10th at the Northland Arboretum, 14250 Conservation Dr, Baxter, MN 56425.
- The second session will be Thursday, October 12th at the Marshall Ramada Inn, 1500 E College Dr, Marshall, MN 56258
Advanced Governmental Accounting:
This class is designed to cover budgetary implications and fund issues along with risks and financial reporting. The class assumes the individual has an understanding of both beginning and intermediate governmental accounting topics and is looking for additional accounting training. The class will include GAAP, fund accounting, capital assets, budgetary accounting, internal service funds, and cash flow analysis. Dave Mol, Redpath and Company, Ltd , and Peggy Moeller , Redpath and Company, Ltd. will present the topic. This class will be offered twice in 2017. The cost per session is $30 and class is held from 9:00a.m. -3:00p.m.
- The first session will be Tuesday, October 17th at the Alexandria Holiday Inn, 5637 Highway 29 South, Alexandria, MN 56308
- The second session will be Wednesday, October 18th at Lakeville Water Treatment Plant, 18400 Ipava Ave, Lakeville, MN 55044
Space is limited! Register for a session at www.mngfoa.org today!