Roger J. Reinert
Reinert served almost 15 years in elected public office as a City Councilor, State Representative, and State Senator. He earned a reputation during his public service of being a thoughtful and centered leader having the ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders and audiences. He twice served as President of the Duluth City Council, served as Chair of the Minnesota Legislative Audit Commission, and founded the Bipartisan Purple Caucus of the Minnesota Legislature.
Reinert was named a “Rising Legislative Leader” in 2010 by the Council of State Governments, selected as a Bush Fellow in 2013, and named an Aspen Institute of Public Policy Rodel Fellow in 2014.
He has a Master’s Degree in Curriculum Development, post-graduate work in public policy, and will complete his law degree in May 2018. He taught civics and political science at the collegiate level for over 10 years, and is passionate about democracy, public process, and civic engagement.
He is also passionate about public service. Reinert also serves as a Lt. Commander in the United States Navy (Reserve). He spent over a decade as an Intelligence Officer and now serves as a Public Affairs Officer. His current duty assignment is with United States Fleet Forces (Norfolk, VA), and he is the Operations Officer for a 4-Star Command Public Affairs Department. Most recently, he and his team led all media engagements for commissioning of the new USS Gerald R. Ford.
Roger is married to wife Layla who is a nurse with the VA Outreach Clinic. In what spare time he has, he is a private pilot and loves to fly, enjoys sailing the Big Lake, and is an avid runner.
- Leadership Education
- Challenging Conversations
- Critical Thinking
- Conflict Style
- Certified Administrator of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, Bar On EQi emotional intelligence assessment, Intercultural Conflict Survey, Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Inventory, as well as other instruments.
- BA Psychology, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN; MA Education and Counseling, University of Iowa; Additional graduate courses in strategic planning, educational methods and evaluation at the University of Minnesota. Kim’s professional experience includes:
- Eight (8) years as a program director and four (4) years as a Branch Executive in the Minneapolis YMCA.
- Over 26 years of experience in the University of Minnesota Extension, including 13 years as a
County Extension Director, 10 years as an Extension Educator and Professor in Leadership and Civic Engagement, and 3.5 years as a Regional Extension Director.
University Instructor in Communication Studies and National Consultant
- Public Speaking
- Professional Communication & Acumen Conflict Resolution Healthy Self-Talk
- Drama-free Relationships Balancing Personal and Professional BoundariesEducational & Professional
- Ed.D. degree in Organizational Leadership, and a M.A. degree in Speech Communication.
- 21 years of Higher Education Administrative and Teaching.
- Instructor in the Communication Studies Department at the University of Minnesota, the State Prison system; Various colleges throughout Minnesota.
- Author of five books.
Executive Director, Wellness in the Woods
- Mental Health Support
- Wellness Strategies
- Addiction & Recovery
Hennepin County Strategic Initiatives Project Manager
- Leadership Development
- Employee Engagement
- Organization Development
- Strategic Communications
- Organizational Change Management
- Strategic Planning
- Project Management
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Facilitation Services
- Continuous Improvement Skill Development in the Public Sector
- DiSC Team Building
- Strategic Planning
- MA in Adult Education, University of Minnesota
- Certificates and training in Community Development, Team Building Processes, Lean Continuous Improvement, and Facilitation
- Lifetime of professional experience with county government.
Diversity, Speaking/Training Consultant & Former Attorney
Areas of Expertise:
- Diversity and Inclusion Training
- Team Building
- Graduate of Coe College and Boston College Law School.
- From 1982 to 2010, she was a civil trial lawyer who ultimately achieved 100+ trials.
- In 2009, while overseeing a trial practice in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, she transitioned from male to female. She later became one of the few attorneys in the country to try jury cases in separate genders. Since 2009, she has spoken and trained on what it means to be transgender and on diversity and inclusivity in general.
- Her national client list includes many cities, counties, court systems, and Fortune 100 companies.