FUTURES Meeting Materials Archive
- February 2019
- September 2018
- May 2018
- February 2018
- September 2017
- May 2017
- February 2017
- September 2016
- May 2016
- January 2016
- Morrison County demonstrated benefits of their new drone to aid emergency responders and mobile command trailer to streamline communication in emergency situations.
- Lillian McDonald, Managing Director, shared her work with TPT Now. A channel that reaches diverse communities with health and safety information. Her presentation reviewed the nation’s first 24/7 TV channel with real-time, emergency alerts in English, Spanish, Hmong, and Somali.
- Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service is available for free nationwide trainings on Crisis Management & Response. The Harvard Kennedy School case study on Toronto’s SARS Crisis was the topic for this AMC Futures session. If you would like to invite the TEEX facilitators to your county, please contact Heather Bandeen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Research & Program Development Manager at AMC.
- Patrice Kunesh, Assistant Vice President & Directorfor Center for Indian Country Development at the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. She is of Standing Rock Lakota descent, has extensive experience representing American Indian tribes throughout the country. We were honored that she joined us to share about her life’s work.
- TwinCities RISE assists individuals in poverty on the path to stable employment. They focus on long-term results – with 81% of graduates staying at their jobs after one year, this 12-month job retention rate is nearly twice the national average. One of the tools that makes this possible is the Minnesota Employers’ Fair Chance Hiring Guide.
- Better Angels, launched in 2016, is a bipartisan citizen’s movement to unify our divided nation. By bringing red and blue Americans together into a working alliance, we’re building new ways to talk to one another, participate together in public life, and influence the direction of the nation. This emerging initiative was featured on CBS This Morning.
- The Minnesota Workforce Strategy Consultants at the Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) develop innovative workforce solutions by aligning resources, facilitating collaboration, and leveraging expertise to drive economic equity and growth. These positions are relatively new at DEED. To find a consultant near you, please review the statewide service regions.
- Kandiyohi County’s CEO program, with Tyler Gehrking, encourages students in the Willmar-area to create their own businesses and present them to local banking investors and entrepreneurs via an annual trade show. Students graduate from this class owning a business and gaining priceless leadership experience.
- FutureGood with Trista Harris, President of the Minnesota Council on Foundations: As our country moves towards a time of more uncertainty, keeping an eye toward the future allows us to imagine beyond the confusion of today and instead build a new tomorrow.
- We Are All Criminals (WAAC): We Are All Criminals is a non-profit organization dedicated to challenging society’s perceptions of what it means to be “criminal.” Through shared stories of those who committed or were accused of committing crimes, those who got away with them, and those who have been directly affected by the criminal justice system, we seek to erase the barriers that separate us. If you missed Emily's talk, please watch this video.
- Ujamaa Place: Since opening their doors seven years ago, Ujamaa Place has served over 2,000 mostly men of color in efforts to transform communities in the greater St. Paul area. Please visit this video for an overview of their work to disrupt mass incarceration.
- Ban the Box: This document provides an overview of Minnesota hiring requirements for public employers, in place since 2009, enforced by the MN Department of Human Rights.
RealTime Talent – Using data to build the world’s best workforce
RealTime Talent, in partnership with the Minnesota Chamber Foundation, provides accessible data to support decisions regarding solutions to Minnesota’s growing labor force shortage concerns.
- Procore – Openness, Ownership, and Optimism: Values to attract the next generation
Ryan Thielen, Senior Program Manager at Procore, presented on important lessons for attracting and engaging millennials in the workplace.
- Dr. Joyce Esther, President of Normandale Community College
Dr. Joyce Esther shared reflections on leading Minnesota’s largest community college and lessons from her professional life during her presentation "Life as a Community College President."
- National Joint Powers Association and the Minnesota Service Cooperatives
NJPA, as one of nine Minnesota Service Cooperatives, offer a statewide network of innovation and new models of shared services for counties and cities. The highlight of this presentation was a new, partially funded county government internship program for 2018.
- Dr. Mark Thomas
Visit the University of Minnesota Department of Neuroscience for a snapshot of his research and current projects.
- FADED Fentanyl's Impact Video
FADED is a documentary that follows four families that have been impacted by the synthetic drug Fentanyl. This video is intended to help inform you about the extreme dangers of Fentanyl, a lethal synthetic drug impacting our community and is resulting in overdoses and death. This is not an issue that is targeting certain socioeconomic classes; it is being abused by a wide range of youth and is easily obtained.
Sarah Reese, Polk County Public Health Director
Polk-Mahnomen-Norman Community Health Services Administrator
Strategies to Provide Information
Strategies to Conduct a Community Assessment on Rx Abuse
St. Gabriel's Health & Morrison County Partnership: Successfully Combatting the Opioid Epidemic
A hospital prescription bottle was found at the scene of an overdose. In a county of just over 30,000 residents, one of the community’s four pharmacies alone filled 40,000 narcotic pill prescriptions every single month. Staff members at CHI St. Gabriel’s Health knew they had to do something.
- UM Extension PowerPoint, Dean Bev Durgan
- University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, Best Nature Experience Video
Experience a virtual tour of all that the Arboretum has to offer!
- MinnPost: It’s not just opioids: ‘Diseases of despair’ claim a growing number of Minnesotan lives
- MinnPost: We know that prescriptions are helping drive the opioid epidemic. So why are some Minnesota counties’ opioid prescription rates going up?
- NLC-NACO Joint Report: A Prescription for Action: Local leadership in ending the opioid crisis
- Minnesota State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis
- Yellow Line Project Video
- Presentation: Broadband and the Future of Americas Counties
- Broadband and the Future of America’s Counties - Joanne Hovis, President CTC Technology & Energy
- Blue Earth County Launching a Jail Diversion Program – Angela Youngerberg, Director of Business Operations Blue Earth County Human Services, and Phil Claussen, Blue Earth County Human Services Director
- Culture of Gopher Hockey - The Gold Standard: Brad Frost, Head Coach, and Joel Johnson, Associate Head Coach, University of Minnesota Women’s Ice Hockey
- Mill City Kids & Collective Action Lab – Olivia Mastry, Perran Wetzel, and Sam Simmons
- People Serving People – Daniel Gumnit, CEO
- “Overview of Minnesota State Budget” - Bill Marx, Chief Fiscal Analyst, Minnesota House of Representatives
- “Demographic Trends and Economic Projections” – Allison Liuzzi, Research Scientist, Wilder Research, Minnesota Compass
- “Learn & Earn to Achieve Potential – LEAP, An Annie B. Casey Foundation Initiative” - Kristine Snyder, LEAP Director, Project for Pride in Living (PPL) in partnership with Hennepin County & Minneapolis Public Schools
- "Rewriting the Rural Narrative" - Ben Winchester, University of Minnesota Extension
- "Drama Free Communication” - Jody Janati, University of Minnesota
- "Gray Area Thinking: Interacting with Transgender and Other Diverse Humans" – Ellie Krug - Attorney, Author, Trainer