FUTURES Meeting Materials Archive
- September 2017
- May 2017
- February 2017
- September 2016
- May 2016
- January 2016
- November 2015
- May 2015
- February 2015
- October 2014
- June 2014
- March 2014
- November 2013
- June 2013
- February 2013
- November 2012
- June 2012
- February 2012
- November 2011
- June 2011
- February 2011
- November 2010
- May 2010
- February 2010
- November 2009
- September 2009
- Dr. Mark Thomas
Visit the University of Minnesota Department of Neuroscience for a snapshot of his research and current projects.
- FADED Fentanyl's Impact Video
FADED is a documentary that follows four families that have been impacted by the synthetic drug Fentanyl. This video is intended to help inform you about the extreme dangers of Fentanyl, a lethal synthetic drug impacting our community and is resulting in overdoses and death. This is not an issue that is targeting certain socioeconomic classes; it is being abused by a wide range of youth and is easily obtained.
Sarah Reese, Polk County Public Health Director
Polk-Mahnomen-Norman Community Health Services Administrator
Strategies to Provide Information
Strategies to Conduct a Community Assessment on Rx Abuse
St. Gabriel's Health & Morrison County Partnership: Successfully Combatting the Opioid Epidemic
A hospital prescription bottle was found at the scene of an overdose. In a county of just over 30,000 residents, one of the community’s four pharmacies alone filled 40,000 narcotic pill prescriptions every single month. Staff members at CHI St. Gabriel’s Health knew they had to do something.
- UM Extension PowerPoint, Dean Bev Durgan
- University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, Best Nature Experience Video
Experience a virtual tour of all that the Arboretum has to offer!
- MinnPost: It’s not just opioids: ‘Diseases of despair’ claim a growing number of Minnesotan lives
- MinnPost: We know that prescriptions are helping drive the opioid epidemic. So why are some Minnesota counties’ opioid prescription rates going up?
- NLC-NACO Joint Report: A Prescription for Action: Local leadership in ending the opioid crisis
- Minnesota State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis
- Yellow Line Project Video
- Presentation: Broadband and the Future of Americas Counties
- Broadband and the Future of America’s Counties - Joanne Hovis, President CTC Technology & Energy
- Blue Earth County Launching a Jail Diversion Program – Angela Youngerberg, Director of Business Operations Blue Earth County Human Services, and Phil Claussen, Blue Earth County Human Services Director
- Culture of Gopher Hockey - The Gold Standard: Brad Frost, Head Coach, and Joel Johnson, Associate Head Coach, University of Minnesota Women’s Ice Hockey
- Mill City Kids & Collective Action Lab – Olivia Mastry, Perran Wetzel, and Sam Simmons
- People Serving People – Daniel Gumnit, CEO
- “Overview of Minnesota State Budget” - Bill Marx, Chief Fiscal Analyst, Minnesota House of Representatives
- “Demographic Trends and Economic Projections” – Allison Liuzzi, Research Scientist, Wilder Research, Minnesota Compass
- “Learn & Earn to Achieve Potential – LEAP, An Annie B. Casey Foundation Initiative” - Kristine Snyder, LEAP Director, Project for Pride in Living (PPL) in partnership with Hennepin County & Minneapolis Public Schools
- "Rewriting the Rural Narrative" - Ben Winchester, University of Minnesota Extension
- "Drama Free Communication” - Jody Janati, University of Minnesota
- "Gray Area Thinking: Interacting with Transgender and Other Diverse Humans" – Ellie Krug - Attorney, Author, Trainer
"IMMIGRANTS WILL DEFINE THE FUTURE" by Hector Garcia
- DUAL STRATEGY proposed by Chicano Latino Affairs Council
- Economic potential of immigrants
- MN Exports to Mexico and Latin America - 2004-2014
- Video: Economic Potential of Minnesotans of Mexican Origin - Part 1 (Report)
- Video: Economic Potential of Minnesotans of Mexican Origin - Part 2
February 2015 Meeting
- MINNESOTA COMPASS. By tracking and analyzing trends in areas that affect our quality of life, Compass gives everyone in our state – policymakers, business and community leaders, and concerned individuals who live and work here – a common foundation to act on issues to improve our communities.
- County specific link – click on region and type in county
- MINNESOTA COUNTY EDUCATION CONNECTION BLOG. FUTURES members are encouraged to sign up to receive blog postings. Members are also welcome to write for the blog.
- STATUS OF WOMEN & GIRLS IN MINNESOTA. Research and writing by the University of MN Humphrey School’s Center on Women & Public Policy, in partnership with the Women’s Foundation of Minnesota.
- WOMEN’S FOUNDATION OF MINNESOTA
- DiSC INFORMATION (responses received by the DiSC Company)
The percentage of people in each of the DiSC quadrants is 25%. This is due to the fact that the profile is normed on the North American population and designed to give results that are evenly distributed among the styles. An example I use to illustrate this is to imagine that all of the D’s I’s and S’s were removed from the planet and only people who had C styles remained. IF those C’s were to take the DiSC assessment again, we would still have 25% of respondents falling in each of the quadrants. This is because, when compared to the new population of Earth, some of those C’s would now be considered D’s, I’s or S’s.
Yes we do. All of our translated assessments are normed and validated based on their respective populations. For instance, in China there are behaviors that are more socially desirable than they are in the U.S. and vice versa.
The DiSC instrument is used by many firms and they vary in the validity and cost for their instruments. The instructors in these videos are not affiliated with the DiSC that was used in the February 2015 FUTURES meeting, but the core content is accurate. They are fairly succinct and it’s a good overview.
October 2014 Meeting
- Presentation: "County Innovation At Work: Is There Innovation in Dealing With Out of Home Placement?” Phillip Greer, Tri-County Corrections Executive Director.
- Presentation: Blue Earth County Ambassador Program Jessica Beyer and Krista Amos presented Blue Earth County's CAP program at the October FUTURES meeting.
March 2014 Meeting
November 2013 Meeting
- Presentation: The Role of County Government in Economic Development
- Presentation: What Lies Ahead for the Minnesota Economy
- Presentation: A Discussion About Consolidation of Local Government
November 2012 Meeting
- Providing Services to Returning Veterans in Minnesota Counties
By Hector Matascastillo, MSW and Brock Hunter
- "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr Rob Rotella
- "Humilitas" by John Dickson
- " The Leadership Lessons of Jesus" by Bob Briner and Ray Pritchard
- "The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army" by David Cloud - There is no right or best leadership style; just be yourself and be sincere.
- "Building Leaders the West Point Way" by Major General (Retired) Joseph P. Franklin - A leader must be approachable.
- "The Servant" by James C. Hunter - A very good primer on my personal leadership style, servant leadership, and the ideas of the upside organization chart and being personally connected to your followers.
- "The Power of Acknowledgment" by Judith W. Umlas - The power of acknowledging each other's humanity, accomplishments, talents, and wisdom on a continuous basis
June 2012 Meeting
- "Overview of Two Public-Private Partnerships" Presented by Ted Mondale – VP of Strategy and Research, GREATER MSP
- "County Health Care Public Private Partnership" Presented by Mr. Sergei Shvetzoff, Principal of Health Dimension Group
- "Ramsey County JDAI" Presented by Commissioner Toni Carter, Ramsey County
- "St. Louis County JDAI" Presented by Frank Jewell, St. Louis County - ppt/handout
- "Total Rewards: Becoming a Performance Driven Organization" Presented by Tamra Laska, Crow Wing County Human Resource Director
- "Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) - Hennepin County" Presented by Hennepin County's William Peters, Labor Relations Director and Deb Truesdell, Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) Manager
February 2012 Meeting
- "Planning for Tax Reform" Presented by Revenue Commissioner Myron Frans
November 2011 Meeting
- Dr. Massoud Amin Presentation & Related Articles/Videos
- Smart Grid Presentation
- Op-Ed: "Building New American Prosperity through Smarter and More Secure Infrastructure"
- Op-Ed: "We Are Not in Kansas Anymore: The next 'stimulus'... filling potholes is necessary but insufficient"
- Video: Can energy grids save themselves?
- Video: Because our power grid can power the future
- Click here for related information or to subscribe (free of charge) to the IEEE Smart Grid Newsletter.
- For additional pertinent information, presentations, selected videos, and publications, please see the downloadable material in the gray side bar on the left hand side of the website here.
- Market Value Homestead Credit MPR Video: Why are Minn. property taxes going up?
February 2011 Meeting
- Complex Problems and Critical Thinking
- The Ladder of Inference
- Wicked Problems Summary Handout
- Minnesota Human Services Quiz - QUESTIONS
- Minnesota Human Services Quiz - RESULTS
- Handouts used in the FUTURES human services quiz debrief to outline one county's expenditures and the breakdown of tax dollars (Anoka County)
September 2009 Meeting
- Corrections I-Wheel Report Presented September 2009 Ryan Erdmann, Director, MN Association of Community Correction Act Counties (MACCAC)
- "Theory Behind the Moving Redesign Forward" Presented September 2009 Tim Walsh, Scott County Community Services Director and Futures Member
- "Bringing the Theory to Life Through Real County Scenario" Presented September 2009 Mary Fischer, Pipestone County Social Services Director and Futures Member
February 2009 Meeting
- "Brain Gain" of the Newcomers Presented February 2009 Ben Winchester, Extension Research Fellow
February 2008 Meeting
- Finding the Future Faster® Presented February 2008 Joel Barker Presentation
- Housing Market & Foreclosure Impacts on Counties Presented February 2008